Monday, June 23, 2008

Keeping in Touch

I stink at returning phone calls, emails, and other forms of accepted communication. And...I am not alone.

I know its cliche. But I really am trying to figure out a way to keep in touch with people on a more regular basis. However, without burning my cell minutes or spending all my hard earned money on stamps...email is really the only way. But then you get bombarded with 100 emails from people that you haven't talked to in ages...and get so overwhelmed with replying...that you just don't. In at least 3 cases I have been playing phone tag with people for months. Months!

So how do we do it? How do we stay in touch? Mass emails are good for general updates...but very impersonal. I just don't know.

Beyond that...how do we find the folks we lost? I haven't heard from my high school best friend in almost 8 years. I have tried to find her...but no luck. Sadly we didn't even have a HS reunion.

Any ideas? And for those that I have not replied to...HI! I miss you! Please don't give up on me!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I make chat-dates with my out-of-country friends; I phone or e-mail my local friends once a week minimum; I contact friends at a distance every couple of weeks, once a month at least; I contact people I'm not too close to at least once ever 6 months or so; I got a head-set and call people in the car without fears of crashing. And in the end, I know that I won't stick to this and that my friends will understand, cuz they're my friends - they know me and they accept me as I am. (PS - it's your move on Scrabulous...)

Tom Marker said...

try looking into twittr.

It's like a blog, but you are limited to 160 characters, the idea being you can update more frequently and not write a novel each time.

Plus you can set up twittr to send your updates to facebook, or you can aggregate all your friend's twittr statuses and see them all on a page.

Hugely impersonal, but kinda interesting. (No, I don't do it.)