Friday, May 9, 2008

Southern Living

So I have been toying with this for a little while and think I may have enough information to make a good list. It's the "10 ways that you know you aren't in Ohio/PA anymore" list.

They are in no particular order...though some are more chuckle provoking than others. Some of them are just little differences that make the south unique.

I will say that overall, people are much more apt to slow down and help someone, or take a few extra minutes to be kind. But...then again...if you look hard enough you'll find those people everywhere.

1. The girl sitting next to me in nursing orientation has a puppy that she named Mason Dixon.

2. Gottawannaneedagetahava Bojangles. Say no more...except maybe job security.

3. One of my patients asked me where I was from...and proceeded to call me "the Yankee" for the rest of the day. He did however say I "wasn't so bad for a northerner" when I popped my head in to say good-night.

4. Sweet Tea. Beware to those who have never tried it!

5. Leaf blowers replace snow blowers in December, January and February (and this year March and April!).

6. Nascar (and all its theme parks).

7. It is 70 degrees at 700am in April and May. And you have the windows open on New Year's Eve.

8. People refer to each other as "Miss So-and-So." (Miss Jess) Which is nice sometimes....but since I am not used to it and don't do it...I often wonder if I am being disrespectful.

9. Grits are a staple on the breakfast trays at the hospital. And people eat them.

10. Religion is much more freely discussed here (but usually its Christian religions). And people do not even hesitate to ask you which church you attend. At least once/day a patient tells me to trust in God and to ask for guidance while I work. I have no qualms with this, but I can see it making some of my friends up north very uncomfortable.

Overall, people everywhere are just doing what they need to do to get through their day. Yes, there is a distinct difference between northern and southern culture, but if you really boil it down to basics, we are all after the same goals in life.

There are aspects of the north that I truly miss (not the snow). But there are parts of the south that are a nice change (flowers all the time!).

This list was in no way meant to be hurtful...just my simple observations. Feel free to add on...but keep it in good spirit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd add:

People, even random strangers, say hi and smile and expect you to do the same. I was recently back in Chicago and pleasantly said hi to a few passersby out of habit and they looked at me like I was a nutjob.

Dave