Thursday, May 1, 2008

Tri Training

So I decided that I would try to ride with the big kids today. I gather up all my new spiffy bike stuff and head out. The leader, who is super cool btw, stands up and says "today will be a challenge" (I like challenges) "we will be climbing 'Mt. Waxhaw'" (I never noticed any really big hills around) "It will be 28 miles" (hmmm...my first time out we only did 12...but I felt great then...).

There are some very important distinctions between mountain and road bikes...the one I dislike the most is the "cage." I haven't gotten clip pedals yet so my feet are wedged into a little harness thingy to...in theory...maximize the amount of energy on the upswing of each stroke. That's fine...unless you have to get out of the cage quickly...which I needed to do...and your foot gets stuck...which mine did. Down I went. I'll say this, its been a long time since I had to pick gravel out of my leg. =) And yes, peroxide still stings.

Mt. Waxhaw was quite a challenge, but despite a few learning curves and being the last person to the top...I did it! Fortunately the ride back was a little more forgiving...or I would have been calling a cab to come find me.

All in all it was a great experience and I am happy that I made the effort to ride with the big kids. This was my second ride after all and I should expect that I won't really be up with the pack until I get more of a rhythm. Fortunately...I don't think my issue is cardiovascular...I think it is technique and not quite being used to the bike.

I will hang with the beginners this Sunday when I ride with the Bee-Team. Not because I am afraid of the distance, but more because I think that I will learn more theory with that group. The rides on Thursday don't have a beginners group...so I will just have to keep at it. They all have a no drop policy which I appreciate! Especially because I still don't know my way around very well.

I survived a 28 mile ride....which means I am 3 miles over what I need. Next week I am going to try to run a few miles after to get used to the transition. I am also going to look into some of those clippy pedals!

On a side note...I have taken about 8 minutes off my mile swim...would still like to get it down a few more minutes. My running is coming along...I am planning on signing up for a 5K soon to see how it goes.

As our coach at the Y says "Gotta....Tri!" And boy am I!

Just Keep Swimmin....
Jess

1 comment:

aurance said...

That sounds like more movement than I do in a year.

By the way Stephen was here!

=(^.^)=