Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Training Updates

Today I drove over to the park to do my run (I would have biked...but still need to get those pedals installed). All was fine and good...but around 2K I found myself praying for rain just to break the humidity. Its not hot...relatively...but I am really struggling with the moisture.

Any suggestions out there? It gets to the point that the air is so thick that I can't even breathe properly. I don't carry my water bottle with me...its too annoying...but I don't think that's the problem.

Part of the issue is that I need a running buddy. Someone to distract me from the fact that I am indeed running around in circles. I am on the Tri team at the Y...but I am usually scheduled to work on the days that they run. When I do get to go with them...I find that I accomplish much more than I do on my own.

Tomorrow is swim day after work. I am torn between distance or drills. Guess I'll see what I am feeling when I get there. I will write up both work-outs just in case. =)

Today I am taking my trusty bike for its new pedals. And Sunday will be riding with the Bee Team to learn how to use them.

Hope all is well...Suggestions on this humidity thing welcome!

3 comments:

Suzanne Ross said...

Try running hella early in the morning. One of my friends in Houston has this nifty belt that holds these little water bottles, I'll have to ask her about it... Good luck! Not much humidity up here yet, it is still hovering around 60 each day, grrrr.

Unknown said...

Run early (like shortly after sunrise). Run in the rain (not before or after). Hydrate and suck it up.

Love
Me

Tom Marker said...

Humidity can sometimes be worse in the morning, depending on the weather.

Part of it is you just have to get acclimated to the weather. And the only way to do that is to get out there in the worst part of it and do it. Just like with Tang Soo Do, when people complain that their legs are sore from low stances. They can stretch, do squats, etc all they want but the only thing that helps - and you know the answer -- is to force yourself to deal with the discomfort.

Start slow, and push through it.

Jeff Galloway is a renowned trainer for endurance athletes, and here is his advice:

"Adjust for heat, humidity, hills, etc.

The warmer and more humid it is, the slower you must go (two and a half to three minutes/mile slower than you could run that distance that day). The slower you go, from the beginning of the run, the less damage you'll incur from the heat, humidity, and distance covered. More frequent (or longer) walk breaks will also lower the damage without detracting from the endurance of that long run.

Signs you went too fast on a long one:

* you must hit the couch or bed and rest for an hour or more
* muscle soreness or leg fatigue which lasts more than two days, making it uncomfortable to run
* aches and/or pains that last for more than four days after a long one
* huffing and puffing so much during the last two to three miles that you can't carry on a conversation
* struggling during the last two to three miles to maintain pace or slowing down
* an increase in nausea and irritation at the end of the run"

Finally, here is a really interesting article from the NYT on elite runners facing the very same problems, so you're not alone:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/health/nutrition/18mara.html?_r=1&8dpc&oref=slogin