Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer

There is something to be said about the magic of summer. Nothing in my world actually changes (except the electric bill...thank-you Charlotte humidity). I still go to work during the week, still walk the pup in the evening etc etc, but there is just something about it.

I LOVE chilling out with friends outside. Tonight we went to hear some live music and chat with some friends. It was awesome (and I got a yummy Five Guys grilled cheese!). It reminded me so much of those lazy summers that actually did mean a change of schedule and a bit more chill time. Too bad we can't take summers off from work!

It is amazing to me how our senses can transport us to a totally different place and time. Sometimes its a smell, a song or a taste that rockets us into childhood playing kickball at the neighborhood rec field.

My favorite example is green Kool-Aide. Every time I drink it or think about it I go back to picnics at my grandma's house. Everyone got together for whatever random summer holiday was going on and we had a picnic. Grilled fish or hamburgers, sliced cucumbers, watermelon, potato salad and green Kool-Aide (the real stuff with sugar). I doubt that anyone else in my family can even relate these events to a beverage...but I do every time. To me, that is the traditional American family summer.

Now obviously that is a smidge on the egocentric side...cause that is my upbringing, but I loved it. I have a clear image of the yard, the tree (that Pap tried to kill), the picnic table that could flip over if the weight ratio wasn't quite right, Grammy's clothes line, Prince's dog house the croquet set ready for the Kearney rules....as if I was standing in the yard right now. Everyone is there too, performing their duties (Aunt Linda was always the creator of the green Kool-Aide).

Amazing. All that from Kool-Aide. It brings me happiness, peace and a little twinge of...gee I wish I could be there and then right now. I would take Dave back with me...maybe we could get him to like potato salad if we start him young. =)

Anyway...raise a glass of your favorite childhood beverage and remember the good ole' days when summer was 3 months of pure randomness!

Cheers!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Grape Kool-Aid or Huggies

Unknown said...

blech potato salad

Unknown said...

And they were lil' hugs. Those things were great. Not huggies ... those are diapers.

Jess said...

no...they were huggies. I agree with Ash.

Unknown said...

Little Hugs:
http://www.inthe80s.com/food/littlehugs0.shtml

Huggies:
www.huggies.com/

You pick the one you'd rather drink.